Source: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Canada’s dairy processors sustain good jobs across the country, and the safe, high-quality products they supply are respected and enjoyed by Canadians.
Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food Marie-Claude Bibeau announced today an investment totalling $164,000 for two projects under the Dairy Processing Investment Fund to enhance the competitiveness and efficiency of Mountainoak Cheese Ltd.
Under the first project, $128,734 will support the purchase and installation of a hose station, walk-in cooler, automatic lift, cheese packaging machine, and an upgraded water system. It is expected the new equipment will reduce production cost, improve water use and waste water management, and increase annual cheese production and annual usage of milk.
The second project, valued at $35,700, will support the purchase and installation of a cheese cutting machine. The machine is expected to improve competitiveness and efficiency, as it meets customer requirements for consistent product weight and size, as well as reduce product waste and production cost.
The Dairy Processing Investment Fund, valued at $100 million, is designed to help dairy processors modernize their operations, improving productivity and competitiveness.
“Canada’s dairy processors are vital to the agricultural sector and our economy. Despite the ongoing challenges of COVID-19, these women and men continue to deliver the highest quality products to our grocery stores and kitchen tables. The Government will continue to invest in our hardworking cheese processors to better serve the sector and Canadians across the country.”
– The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
“Mountainoak Cheese Ltd. has a rich history and a commitment to making high-quality and delicious cheese products. Through investments like this, our Government is ensuring they have the tools they need to enhance productivity and competitiveness and capture the exciting opportunities that lie ahead for their industry.”
– Tim Louis, Member of Parliament for Kitchener—Conestoga
“Our goal is always to bring the highest quality in the most effective way. These new improvements provide the opportunity to ramp up our production even under the current market condition with an increasing international subsidized competition.”
– Adam van Bergeijk, President, Mountainoak Cheese
- Mountainoak Cheese is a modern, state-of-the-art processing plant that continues the tradition of great-tasting, high-quality, Gouda-style cheeses made with high-quality fresh milk from their own dairy cows.
- The Dairy Processing Investment Fund was established to provide funding to dairy processors for investments to improve productivity and competitiveness, and help them adapt to market changes resulting from the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA).
- There are over 500 dairy processors in Canada, including 164 in Ontario. Ontario dairy processors are key drivers of our economy, accounting for almost 40% of total Canadian dairy sales, reaching nearly $6 billion annually, and more than 8,000 jobs.
- To date, 98 dairy processors across Canada have been approved for funding under the Dairy Processing Investment Fund, valued at over $83 million.